I have some posts in the works but I wanted to share something in the meantime. I love online makeup tutorials- they are fun to try to re-create or use as a jumping off point or inspiration. I’m going to share some of my favorites and I think I’d like to make this a regular thing. They are both single tutorials and links to YouTube channels. I’m posting the channels when there’s enough tutorials that fit into one category and I can’t choose a favorite.
All of these looks are perfect inspiration for goth makeup ideas as well as for anyone who likes bold, dramatic makeup looks! I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. If you find one you like and you don’t have the makeup or tools used in the video & want suggestions for alternatives then feel free to ask me, I may be able to help. Remember, if you can’t recreate them for whatever reason you can still learn a lot about placement, blending, color combination and so on. I’ve learned a lot from watching Makeup vids- My eye makeup always used to look the same even with different colors because I’d put shadows in the same place and make the same shape. I learned some new tricks from these types of vids and now I like my makeup much better. It’s always different because I’m trying new things!
- First Up, Profound Torture’s YouTube Channel. I love her looks and couldn’t choose one so here’s the channel-http://www.youtube.com/user/Profoundtorture#p/u
- Here’s a simple look with bold yellow shadow and a black cut crease- Substitute any bright matte color for the yellow and you’ve got an easy goth eye look* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLazDsl54-o&feature=related
- This gal has a lot of Pin-Up hair tutorials that are easy to follow –http://www.youtube.com/user/ilovegerardo#p/u
- I had a hard time picking just one look from this gal’s blog of makeup look posts but this is one of my faves. Check out her other looks too, though! http://padmitasmakeup.blogspot.com/2010/03/bejeweled.html
- Here’s a fab purple cat-eye/smoky-eye look- this really shows how placement of light and dark shadows can make such a big difference in an overall look. http://morgueabsolue.blogspot.com/2010/02/unusual-smokey-eye.html
- Here’s a fierce cyber-goth look (her other tutorials are worth a look too!)http://www.youtube.com/user/HollywoodNoirMakeup#p/u/2/KrJIoS7NFN8
- I have a link to this girl’s blog in my sidebar- she’s incredibly creative and talented and you need to visit both her blog and You Tube. Here’s Jangsara’s twist on Geisha makeup- (perfect for a club night!)http://www.youtube.com/user/THEJangsara#p/u/22/b_6pr17wgeM
- Here’s one more hair tutorial- a really kick-ass easy to do fauxhawk/pomp, perfect for concerts/shows!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmynRJPl3Q4&feature=related
- A pretty sweet blog tutorial inspired by Red Velvet Cake- Yum! http://intothepalette.blogspot.com/2010/06/red-velvet-smoky-eye-look.html
- Here’s a unique color combination, a little toned-down compared to some of the above. Done with all MAC but colors can easily be substituted. http://www.specktra.net/forum/thread/110166/orange-eyeshadow-tutorial-don-t-be-scared-it-s-wearable-i-swear
*– Try shadows from Sugarpill, Bloody Mary, Manic Panic for the bright matte color.
I’d love to hear what you think of the idea of tutorial link posts that follow a theme. I want to do a volume 2 of these and then some other themes, like daytime looks, short hair styles, etc. I have a backlog of things to review and my biggest problem right now is getting good pictures with the crappy light lately. I got some good advice on daylight bulbs from a blogger that i really admire so I’m picking one out and I think that’ll help a lot with winter swatch sessions- Yay!!